Enhancing Early Childhood Education (ages 3-5) – GOAL 1
As part of the TNSPDG Enhancing Early Childhood Education (ages 3-5) strand, the Division of Special Populations in collaboration with the Office of Early Learning is committed to providing quality, inclusive, early childhood programs to help children build the skills necessary to be successful in the general education classroom. To do this, professional development will be provided through SPDG initiatives to support the work of districts toward increasing inclusive practices for 3-5 year old children with disabilities and by addressing needs around improving and sustaining high-quality early childhood classrooms.
EC Goal 1: Increasing Early Childhood Inclusion for Children Ages 3-5 with Disabilities
To address this goal districts will receive:
- a guided self-assessment to identify the current status of early childhood inclusion practices and needs within the district.
- training to ensure quality data collection processes.
- information about inclusive models being successfully implemented in Tennessee and/or nationally.
- training on the research based benefits of inclusion for both children with and without disabilities.
- support for using existing data and self-assessment information to develop short and long term goals for increasing inclusion.
State staff will also provide districts with ongoing training and technical assistance support. Districts will have the opportunity to learn from and partner with other districts participating in the SPDG early childhood inclusion cohort. In addition, there will be regularly scheduled community of practice webinars to address early childhood inclusion and quality of practice topics.
EC Goal 1 Resources
Go to EC Goal 2 Information